Friday, October 26, 2007

There's Gotta be Something More

So at the last minute I decided to drive to Reno and see Sugarland in concert. LA, I am sure that they are not on your iPod, but I think you should give them a chance. I'm taking my friend Jessica with me who happens to like them as much as I do. The drive is about 2 hours and I have to run the next morning. I'm on crack if I believe that I am going to get up Saturday morning and run 15 miles after driving home from Reno and getting about 4-5 hours of sleep. Oh well, sounds good in theory.



My favorite Sugarland song, hands down, has to be "One Blue Sky." It is a great commentary on the Bush Administration and their reaction (or should I say, non-reaction) to Hurricane Katrina and her aftermath. It is refreshing to see country artists taking a stand against the Administration without negative reactions from crazy conservative fans.

Since I can't find the song to share with all of you, here are the lyrics to the song.

"Little Annie Vickers is boarding up windows
And her old dog is stranded on the Silos
Hey there Annie, don't even think it
So much water and you can't even drink it
Well, maybe by Christmas they'll dig up roads
Take whatever you can girl
Leave the rest for the crows
Leave the rest for the crows

Been livin' in Crawford for fifteen years
Nothin' much ever happens 'round here
And no one believed the water would come
'Til the sky grew dark and it swallowed the sun
And it rained for forty-two nights and forty-two days
And everthing that we loved is floatin' away

Chorus:
How long 'til our dreams run dry
Don't know but we're stayin'
On our knees we raise our eyes
Holdin' on and prayin' to find
One blue sky

Ms. Wilson sits with an insurance adjustor
Big city boys, she never did trust 'em
Have you been gettin' the letters I'm sendin'
'Cuz the preacher swears that the world is ending
Well, if there's a way out, wish someone would show us
We keep looking around here for some modern day Moses

repeat chorus

Now we're diggin' our heels hard as we can
But the backyard looks like Rio Grande
And I wonder will it wash us clean or wash us away

repeat chorus twice

One blue sky"

OH, I lied. Here is a snippet of the song. Thanks google.


My second favorite song is "Want To." I have a youtube video for y'all. I just love the youtube.

8 comments:

M-M-M-Mishy said...

I like "Down In Mississippi" as a fun song for country night. Yes, I've been to a coutry night here and there...

Let us know how the concert is. I think Jennifer's voice is amazing.

Diane said...

Great lyrics! I'm not a big C&W fan, but she does have a great voice - and good luck with the run, stud boy!

EditThis said...

I hate C&W music. Seriously. It makes me want to stab someone. Having said that, nice lyrics.

How'd you post the audio clip?

LA said...

Add me to the list of people who do not do C&W.

I do appreciate the lyrics you posted, and I sincerely hope that it doesn't negatively affect the artists.

LA said...

p.s. Waiting to hear how that run went Saturday, post concert and drive.

sweet said...

sugarland boogerland.

Diane said...

ryan - congrats on exceeding your fundraising goals!

norm said...

Norm can't decide which he likes more. Country or Western? Hmmmmmm . . .