Monday, October 01, 2007

Old Dog, New Kicks

On Sunday, I went out to Fleet Feet in Sacramento to buy myself a brand new pair of running shoes. I swear, even the simplest and mundane tasks turn into major events for little old me. I walk into the store, and this dude, about 20 year old, 5' 11" and about 140lbs comes up to me and asks, "How can I help you?" While he is greeting me and asking what I needed I was giving him the once over. He was a 6 out of a 10; average. Anyways, back to the story... "How can I help you?" asks the runner boy. I say, "I need a brand new pair of running shoes. I have been using some lame Nike cross trainers for some time now, and I need to move up and get into something more comfortable and durable because I have a marathon coming up in December." Dude seriously looked at me with the look of confusion and responded to my statement with this rude question/statement, "You're Running a Marathon?" I was like what the eff?!? Who does this douche bag think he is? Questioning my ability to run! Did I look like I weighed 400 pounds that day and was out of breath walking from my car into the store? I mean hello, RUDE. I mean, maybe that is something that I would think to myself if I was that dude, but to express it out loud in front of 12 people, that was a tad embarrassing.

So needless to say I was pissed!!! What a DICKHOLE! So I glared at him and said, "I wouldn't be in here buying running shoes if I weren't going to run a marathon, idiot!" I then proceeded to ask for the manager and had another customer service representative assist me in choosing the correct shoe. I soon realized that you don't buy the type of running shoes based on their coolness and hip factor. It goes much deeper than just the superficial. I did end up with some pretty sweet kicks though. Here they are in all of their glory.



They are a pair of white, blue, and gold ASICS. After the shopping experience I went over to Jen and Vince's to see the cutest baby on the face of this planet, Isaiah. Our friend Sarah was also at Jen's abode, so I killed two birds with one stone. I also had a Grande Orange Cream Frappuccino from Starbucks right after my Fleet Feet escapade due to the fact that that douche made me feel fat. Thanks asshole, I didn't really need those delicious empty calories. Though it did taste as good coming up as it did going down. It was like having two desserts in one day! Kidding...

Oh, and I signed up for next weekend's . We will see if I can make it through. I am sure I can soldier through it. I wish I had a SWEET friend to run it with me, but alas, it will not be. Here is the course map.



I also received this awesome shirt, which I will only wear around the house or to the gym, when I donated a couple hours of my time yesterday to put together "goody" bags for the Cowtown. The Sacramento Cowtown Marathon is actually put on by the Greater Sacramento Chapter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, so that is how I got roped into volunteering. I make it sound like it was grueling work, which it wasn't. I had a blast hanging out and meeting new people. Which, if you know me really well, I try to avoid.




EDIT: Monday, October 1st, 2007 @ 10:45pm - I just passed the $1000 donation mark, $1001, to be exact! I only have to raise $699 to reach my goal. I hope to reach and exceed my goal within the next few weeks. Thanks again for all of the contributions! It really means the world to me!

7 comments:

sweet said...

earlier in the summer i had planned on running the cowtown (half, i don't think these old bones can handle a full anymore)...but i never signed up and now i'm going to visit my mom this weekend. sorry! i'll be there in spirit, cheering you on all the way.

LA said...

OMG, I can't believe that idiot shoe salesman insulted you like that! I hope the manager was appropriately respectful.

Good on you for the volunteer work. Sounds like it was fun to boot!

EditThis said...

Fuck that guy. What an ass.

Love the Asics, that's what I run in, too. I felt like an idiot the first time I went to an actual running show store and also discovered there's more to picking out shoes than color. The super fun part was when the guy asked me to run around the store (in front of people!) and then exclaimed, "Ok...You're pronated!

GetFlix said...

He was just pissed he was only a 6.

Ryan said...

Flix - You are very supportive for a heterosexual.

HAHA, thanks!!!

Edit - Yeah, I had to run outside in front of like 10 other stores with people looking at me. When the gal asked me to run when I put my first pair on I looked at her as if she was crazy. I love the shoes, especially the colors, blue and gold, the colors of UC Davis.

LA The stuffing of the bags was totally fun. Supposedly we made for 2,500 bags, We were speedy, Hopefully I will be half as fast on Sunday.

sweet I hope you have a wonderful time in UT. I saw the pics of the house and it is really cute from the outside.

Diane said...

Congrats on the fundraising! And I love the Cowtown t-shirts!

Diane said...

p.s. you do not even want to built like a marathon runner - too scrawny