Sunday, March 25, 2007

Tons O' Rants - No Raves

1) Crap, as of 1:32pm PST my Final Four only 75% correct. I am a dumb fuck for thinking Texas A&M would get in the Final Four. I only picked them due to an encounter I had while I was in College Station, TX this past September. My friends, Brad and Claire, who recently moved to College Station took me to a Texas A&M Football game while I was visiting. While we were at the stadium waiting for a lighting storm to pass and the game to begin, members of the Texas A&M Basketball team walked through the soaking crowd. All of the old ladies and alumni were salavating and asking them, "are you going to go all the way this year?" A few of them answered, "yes mam'." Well, for some reason, little ol' me remembered those promises and while filling out my brackets said to myself, "sure, why not, if they had so much confidence, then I will pick them." Well here is a widely known fact... people from Texas are LIARS! I swear Texans will lie about anything! They lie about the War and their abilities to make it to the Final Four!

2) I hate myself for liking the new duet by Beyonce and Shakira, titled "Beautiful Liar." I see a theme forming...
Here is the video in all of its dumbass glory. I hate to say it but it has grown on me. I accidently downloaded it from iTunes. I am such a homo.



3) I hate when a song is used in a commercial, which is totally obscure, and then becomes popular. This has just recently happened with the song "Little Bit More" by the most awesome Jamie Lidell. His song is featured in the ad campaign for Target. The other day I was in Starbuck's drive thru and when I came to the window, the song actually came up on my iPod and played. The ditzy girl at the window says "OMG I just love that Target commerical." I wanted to kill her. Is that wrong? Just hand me my 2 pump Venti Large Black Ice-T and be done with it. I don't wanna chit chat with a person who's vocabulary is about 200 words.

4) I hate STARBUCKS and their Tall, Grande, and Venti sizes. God Damnit, it is Small, Medium and Large. I try not to play into their branding! When I ask for a medium whatever it might me, the employees always looked stunned. I can see their wheels spinning... "What is a medium? I need to get a conversion table."

13 comments:

GetFlix said...

Starbucks is nuts.

LA said...

I'm still reeling over Paul McCartney being the first artist to sign to the Starbucks label. I wonder if signed a grande or venti deal?

Prunella Jones said...

I hate that I love Starbucks.

M-M-M-Mishy said...

I hate that Starbucks charges $4.00 for a coffee and the baristas still feel they have the right to be snobby bitches to you. I guess the condescension is thrown in for free?

Diane said...

I'm 3 for 4 too - I had Wash. State instead of GT . . . I don't even have any good story behind that pick.

Starbucks is part of the evil empire - if you are going to pay that much for coffee or tea, go to the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf - the coffee there is much higher quality and properly roasted

And I too, refuse to use their made up Euro-trash names for sizes

And la, Macca going even more generic commercial corporate crap ain't helping my opinion of him as having already sold his soul to the devil in 1969

I will say this though, Starbucks has dog biscuits for your dog when you go in the drive thru with a salivating pet

LA said...

Diane - I think he sold out around '77, but we're splitting hairs. And you've got one of the best Starbucks drive-thrus in the franchise. They are actually nice there! I'm just bummed the Daily Grind near you closed.

Diane said...

la - I am TOTALLY bummed about the Daily Grind!

EditThis said...

I love that you "accidentally" downloaded the video.

Ditto on Starbucks. I've never gotten the whole sizing thing. I never know what's a Venti, Grande or whatever, and it's never what you would think it would be. And if you say, "small," they look at you like you're a moron and then they point to the cups.

prettykitty said...

hi ryan! i 'm taking full advantage of computer time this weekend, so i'm going to comment on all your rants.

1- huh?

2- as much as i hate to say it, i fooking love that video too.

3- thank you! i though it was lewis taylor for target and would have had to dump him off my ipod for selling out. every time i hear stevie wonder's songs for gap, i wonder if it helps pay for that seeing eye dude who comes on stage with him?

4- i made the mistake of asking for a grande drip at a coffee bean and tea leaf. the icy stare i got was colder than a chai iced tea. also the girl's response was like mine when it comes to the final four, "huh?"

5- sorry i've been MIA. i'm in the process of moving, so i'm all over the place now. this weekend i'm housesitting for koo&grim. they would love this rant!

LA said...

Don't forget the new episode of Bros & Hos on 4/1!

v said...

Dude. I am a NCAA Tourney master! This year. Well not so much anymore. But I had the final four with G-Town winning it all (oh well). But I picked like the entire West Region correctly.

So that video has sound? Seriously Ryan, I think you might not be "such a homo" for liking this video.

PixieGaf said...

I consider myself to be an honest Texan :(

honkeie said...

I refuse to drink anything from Starsucks!