Friday, January 05, 2007

Don't Get Me Started

Oprah Winfrey, who recently opened a $40 million school for poor girls in South Africa, spoke in a Newsweek interview about potential criticism for spending the money abroad rather than on education in the United States. American pupils don't appreciate what they have, she said, adding that she became frustrated visiting inner-city schools and just stopped going. "The sense that you need to learn just isn't there," she said. "If you ask the kids what they want or need they will say an iPod or some sneakers. In South Africa, they don't ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so they can go to school."

I applaud Oprah for opening a school in South Africa but I find her comment to be a ridiculous generalization and severely hypocritical. I find that she actually perpetrates this mentality of entitlement, consumerism, and celebrity. I rarely watch the Oprah Winfrey show, but I have seen episodes where she gives away free crap to her audience members in episodes called "Oprah's Favorite Things." A couple of years ago she also gave away brand new vehicles to each and every person attending the taping of her show. I still remember her shrieking, "you get a car, and you get a car, and you get a car..." I need someone to get the hook. Oprah, next time you open a school, make sure you do it quietly so I don’t have to be annoyed with the ridiculous statements that fly out of your mouth.

I leave you with one of the funniest SNL Oprah skits ever! I remember watching the episode and laughing so loud I may have accidentally woken the neighbors. It stars Maya Rudolph, Rachael Dratch, Amy Pohler, and even Tina Fey. These bitches were on fire! Hope you enjoy this as much as I did, and still do.

5 comments:

Diane said...

Good points on Oprah - I've never been a member of the cult of O

prettykitty said...

you know what? i was going to tell you that oprah corrected herself and said that was a gross general statement on her part, until you set my ass straight. "and you get a car, and you get a car!!" please write an op-ed piece and send it the chicago sun time immediately!

ps that clip is hee-starical!!

Prunella Jones said...

Love the way they lampooned her hysterical audience full of screaming morons! Oprah gets on my nerves!

LA said...

I totally agree with your assessment of Oprah. I can't stand her. She is the devil.

GetFlix said...

At least Dr. Phil stays native.