Friday, February 16, 2007

Single Review - Keep Holding On



Amid so many posers in her wake, Avril Lavigne has taken her time, stepped back and maintained her integrity, waiting for the appropriate moment to return. Soundtrack song in between albums? (Next is due in April.) Ideal. "Keep Holding On," from fantasy flick "Eragon," which opened this past December, meshes her authentic lived-it, (albeit still youthful) vocal signature with an uncharacteristic orchestral arrangement and anthemic pop chorus ("Keep holding on, cause you know I'll make it through/Just stay strong, cause you know I'm here for you"). The result sounds like cross-format sustenance. Industrywise, Lavigne is riding the delicate border between Top 40 babe and adult Top 40 mainstay ... Here, she commands both sides. Gorgeous song, probably requiring an edgy video, but in any case, it sounds like she is set to remain for the long term.

6 comments:

Diane said...

It is a gorgeous song . . . I think you should a critical compare and contrast analysis of her lyrics with those of "Jesus, Take the Wheel" . . . ha! :-)

v said...

Once again, solid review!

But I must say I have mixed feelings about young Avril. As far as pop goes she's got some amazing songs under her belt. She has a great voice, usually paired with a nice melody and decent (for pop) lyrics. But, and perhaps this is unfair, she seems to have a generous ego. Sometimes I hope someone let's her know she's singing pop not opera. Lol, I hope that's not too harsh.

kookla100 said...

Diane, I swear to God if you bring up that Jesus song again!! ;-)

I have to check this single out. I loved when Avril was punk, but not too happy about her spitting phase.

GetFlix said...

She has a unique voice, for sure! But the flying dragon movie looks lame. What was Jeremy Irons thinking?!!

LA said...

Something about her vocals in that song reminded me of Delores O'Riordan of The Cranberries.

EditThis said...

She's one of the only female singers I have liked in years and years. I look forward to whatever she does next.