Sunday, February 11, 2007

MY BITCHES REIGN SUPREME


VINDICATION

The Dixie Chicks completed a defiant comeback on Sunday night, winning five Grammy awards after being shunned by the country music establishment over the group's anti-Bush comments leading up to the Iraq invasion. The Texas trio won record and song of the year for the no-regrets anthem "Not Ready to Make Nice." They also won best country album, which was especially ironic considering the group says they don't consider themselves country artists anymore.

"I'm ready to make nice!" Natalie exclaimed as the group accepted the album of the year award. "I think people are using their freedom of speech with all these awards. We get the message."



The Dixie Chicks won all five awards they were nominated for, sweet vindication after the superstars' lives were threatened and sales plummeted when Natalie criticized President Bush on the eve of the Iraq war in 2003. Almost overnight, one of the most successful groups of any genre was boycotted by Nashville and disappeared from country radio.

With "Taking the Long Way," the women relied on producer Rick Rubin's guidance for an album that was more rock and less country. (Rubin, who also produced "Stadium Arcadium," was honored as producer of the year.)
The standing ovations the Chicks received Sunday illustrated how much the political climate has changed regarding the Iraq war, and even Bush.

"That's interesting," Natalie crowed from the podium after the country award was handed out earlier in the night. "Well, to quote the great 'Simpsons' — 'Heh-Heh.'

"Just kidding," added Natalie. "A lot of people just turned their TVs off right now. I'm very sorry for that."

Emily said, "We wouldn't have done this album without everything we went through, so we have no regrets."

My Dixie Chicks History -

Ryan's Appearence on Storytellers: Dixie Chicks
My Night with the Dixie Chicks

6 comments:

GetFlix said...

My girlfriend is a fan, and insisted I watch tonight with her. I thought the show was actually pretty good. The tribute to James Brown, which involved dancing and no spoken words was very cool.

LA said...

That's awesome! I didn't watch, but I'm very happy!

TEAM DIXIE CHICKS!

v said...

I, too, didn't watch but I am very happy to hear they won and were celebrated by the fans. You're right Ryan, vindication. As a big time fan you must be happy as well, so congrats to you too.

Diane said...

they looked and sounded AMAZING

PixieGaf said...

I love the Dixie Chicks! I am definetly not ashamed they are from Texas.

kookla100 said...

You know, Ryan. I don't mind that they won, because it says alot about the academy voters. But I sure wish Natalie could have been more eloquent, like the other two. This was an opportunity to make a profound statement and instead she turned it into school yard taunts.

The Grammy awards were certainly vindication for the abuse the Chicks went through, but I bet on them breaking up really soon. You heard it here first!