Thursday, February 21, 2008

2008 Oscar Predictions


Here are my picks for the 80th Academy Awards. For the past ten years I have been involved in my friend Rose's, "Maureen's Annual Memorial Oscar Contest." The entry fee is a whopping $10 and is winner take all. I won the contest a few years ago, but have come up short the past 3 years. The contest has become more popular over the years, with last years pot being worth $330. Hopefully I will be victorious on Sunday. SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Oh, I heard that Reese is going to stay home and watch the Oscars with her kids. Looks like Jake shaved his beard and now needs a hot date for the ceremony. I am awaiting his call any minute now.


Best Motion Picture of the Year:
“No Country for Old Men”

Performance by an actor in a leading role:
Daniel Day-Lewis in “There Will Be Blood”

Performance by an actor in a supporting role:
Javier Bardem in “No Country for Old Men”

Performance by an actress in a leading role:
Julie Christie in “Away from Her”

Performance by an actress in a supporting role:
Tilda Swinton in “Michael Clayton”

Best animated feature film of the year:
“Ratatouille”

Achievement in art direction:
“There Will Be Blood”

Achievement in cinematography:
“There Will Be Blood”

Achievement in costume design:
“Atonement”

Achievement in directing:
“No Country for Old Men” Coen Bros

Best documentary feature:
“No End in Sight”

Best documentary short subject:
“Freeheld”

Achievement in film editing:
“The Bourne Ultimatum”

Best foreign language film of the year:
“The Counterfeiters”

Achievement in makeup:
“La Vie en Rose”

Achievement in music written for motion pictures
(Original score):
“Atonement”

Achievement in music written for motion pictures
(Original song):
“Falling Slowly” from “Once”

Best animated short film:
“Peter & the Wolf”

Best live action short film:
“At Night”

Achievement in sound editing:
“Transformers”

Achievement in sound mixing:
“Transformers”

Achievement in visual effects:
“Transformers”

Adapted screenplay:
“No Country for Old Men”

Original screenplay:
“Juno”

One last picture of my future husband...

8 comments:

Diane said...

I'm hoping for surprise write-in upset for soundtrack and song . . . the best soundtrack and songs are Eddie Vedder's soundtrack to Into the Wild

good luck in your pool!

EditThis said...

I'd like to say I have an opinion on the nominations, but the truth is I was so busy this year about the only nominated film I saw was Ratatouille. Must see more films this year. :(

Did Jake call you yet? He called me asking for your number.

LA said...

Hands off my man!

I was flying home from Florida and missed the entire show. How did you do?

Once rules!

Ryan said...

I would like all of you to know that I was the SOLE winner of the contest. I got 16/23 correct. I am super awesome.

Sorry LA, you know that he doesn't swing your way bb.

EditThis said...

Are we sure Jake is gay? Or is this just wishful thinking.

Congrats on winning the contest!

LA said...

I know, I know. Damnit.

kookla@work said...

Hey Ryan! Long time, no talk! Life has been crazy. I think you know what I mean.

Amazingly, I lost every contest because I swore that Julie Christie was going to sweep the sympathy vote and Ruby Dee really let me down this year.

From what I hear, Jake needs a hug these days. Dit emailed me that he ran into him over the weekend in a furniture shop on La Brea. Figures it's the one time Dit doesn't use his iPhone.

GetFlix said...

I was hoping Julie Christie would win. She is so MILF!!